Botetourt Resource Center
PO Box 153
Buchanan, VA 24066
A short video: Celebrating 12 years of the Botetourt Resource Center
Accomplishments of the Botetourt Resource Center July 1, 2012-June 30, 2013
1. Awarded $22,000 from the Fifth Year Foundation for Roanoke Valley (FFRV) Senior Belonging Initiative Grant to:
- Continue existing and expand senior programs (senior home repairs, senior basic needs purchases, senior crisis assistance, senior prescription assistance, once-a-month senior parties, etc.)
2. Third year for the only nonprofit and county-wide crisis fund in Botetourt County called the Botetourt Resource Center Interfaith Crisis Fund under the nonprofit status of Mill Creek Baptist Church and in partnership with 20+ churches. Funds spent this fiscal year = $4,435 on helping 41 households with fuel assistance
3. Senior Prescription Assistance Program - funded by the FFRV Senior Belonging Initiative Grant $1,335.00 spent on helping seniors multiple times with ongoing copayments
4. Facilitated the delivery of free firewood distributed to 9 homes (7 senior homes) by Mill Creek Baptist Church volunteers through out the winter months. BRC Food Pantry in partnership with Springwood Baptist Church, Lawrence Transportation, Dollar General Market, St. Mark’s United Methodist Church in Daleville, & private donations BRC Clothes Closet partnerships with Solomon’s Closet and Catherine’s, Inc.
5. Coordinated Thanksgiving adoption by Mill Creek Baptist Church of one family = $400.00. Coordinated Christmas gift adoptions for 24 children = $2,400 + (partnership with Mill Creek Baptist, Wheatland Lutheran, Springwood Baptist Church and St. Mark’s United Methodist Church Women, Dollar General Market and private family donations.
6. Monthly Senior Parties in Buchanan = 12 parties with a total attendance of 129 seniors. Weekly Bingo on Thursday throughout the year with 12+ seniors/weekly (FFRV grant funded)
7. Repairs to 3 Senior Homes with community volunteers and in partnership with Rebuilding Together of Roanoke by utilizing funds from the FFRV Senior Belonging Grant = $3,568.00
8. Facilitated “Socks for Seniors” with the Botetourt 4-H Club who collected 863 pairs of socks.
9. Facilitated Basic Needs Assistance to Seniors through bill assistance, home supplies, recreation, medical assistance, home repair, etc. with $16,775.00 + from FFRV Belonging Grant funds.
10. Coordinated Supplemental Summer Food Program donated for 15 children adopted by a private family.
11. Raised and disbursed $28,000.00+, in helping needy individuals and families in Botetourt County (not including the value of distrubuting free firewood, food, household supplies, clothing, appliances, school supplies, etc.)
12. Launched the first Senior Dental Assistance Project in Botetourt County to give seniors, who qualify, a free teeth cleaning and x-rays.
*** During this 2012-2013 fiscal year, the BRC case managed121+ households in Botetourt County and answered 1,500+ requests for assistance as information, advocacy, referral and services.
*** In addition to the partnerships mentioned above, we wish to thank these groups for their generous support: Botetourt County Board of Supervisors, Kiwanis Club of Botetourt, Buchanan Lions Club, Troutville Lions Club, Bank of Botetourt, Freedom First Credit Union, The Glebe, The Knights of Columbus #12134, Buchanan Night Aerobics Group, and many generous individual donors.
*** The BRC must raise all expenses for the total budget and programs through county, private and public donations, grants and fundraisers. The BRC is under the nonprofit umbrella of the Council of Community Services and receives in-kind services from the Council as well as from the Town of Buchanan and the Town of Troutville. If interested in making a donation, please send to PO Box 153, Buchanan, VA 24066.