Botetourt Resource Center
PO Box 153
Buchanan, VA 24066
A short video: Celebrating 12 years of the Botetourt Resource Center
Accomplishments of the Botetourt Resource Center July 1, 2013-June 30, 2014
1. Awarded $20,000 from the Sixth Year Foundation For Roanoke Valley (FFRV) Senior Belonging Initiative Grant to:
· Continue existing and expand senior programs (Senior home repairs, senior basic needs purchases, senior crisis assistance, senior prescription assistance, once-a-month senior parties, etc.)
2. Fourth year for the only non-profit and county-wide crisis fund in Botetourt County called the Botetourt Resource Center Interfaith Crisis Fund under the non-profit status of Mill Creek Baptist Church and in partnership with 22+ churches. Funds spent this fiscal year = $ 3,356.45 on helping 34 households with fuel assistance. In addition to this assistance, 19 additional senior homes were helped from FFRV funds of $3,524.62.
3. Senior Prescription Assistance Program – funded by the FFRV Senior Belonging Initiative Grant and a donation from the Virginia Presbyterian Women and in partnership with Ransone’s Drug Store = $ 865.35 spent on helping 12 seniors multiple times with ongoing copayments.
4. Launched the first Senior Dental Assistance Project in Botetourt County to give 35 seniors free cleanings, x rays and extractions, fillings and resurfacing of teeth. This program was possible through $7,000.00 in matching grant funding.
5. Delivery of 25 loads of Free firewood to 7 senior homes through partnership with Mill Creek Baptist Church volunteers throughout the winter months. BRC Food Pantry in partnership with Springwood Baptist Church, Lawrence Transportation, Dollar General Market, St. Mark’s United Methodist Church in Daleville, & private donations. BRC Clothes Closet partnerships with Solomon’s Closet and Catherine’s Inc.
6. Helped to Coordinate Thanksgiving and Christmas adoption by Mill Creek Baptist Church and Wheatland Lutheran Church for Christmas. Donations given = $500 for 4 children.
7. Monthly Senior Parties in Buchanan = 12 parties with a total attendance of 157 seniors Weekly Bingo on Thursday throughout the year with 17 + seniors/ weekly (FFRV grant funded)
8. Repair to two Senior Home to remodel a bathrooms in partnership and funded by Blue Ridge Independent Living Center = $ 3,995.00 and Foundation for Roanoke Valley Senior Belonging Initiative funds of $275.00.
9. Facilitated Basic Needs Assistance to Seniors through bill assistance, home supplies, recreation, medical assistance, home repair, etc. with $ 9,685.00 + from FFRV Belonging Grant funds
10. Raised and Disbursed $ 26,500.00 +in helping needy individuals and families in Botetourt County (not including the value of distributing free firewood, food, household supplies, clothing, appliances, school supplies, etc.)
*** During this 2013-2014 fiscal year, the BRC case- managed 100+ households in Botetourt County and answered 1,200+ requests for assistance as information, advocacy, referral and services.
*** In addition to all the support by partnerships mentioned above, we wish to thank these groups for their generous support: Botetourt County Board of Supervisors, The Fresh Pond Trust, Kiwanis Club of Botetourt, Lawrence Transportation Systems, Inc., Botetourt County Farm Bureau, Buchanan Lions Club, Troutville Lions Club, Bank of Botetourt, The Glebe, The Fincastle Herald, The Knights of Columbus # 12134, Atlas Corporation, Boone Masonic Lodge #217, BRC Night Aerobics Group and many generous individual donors and congregations. Additional information will be supplied by calling the BRC at (540)254-1468.
*** The BRC must raise all expenses for the total budget and programs through county, private and public donations, grants and fundraisers. The BRC is under the non-profit umbrella of the Council of Community Services and receives in-kind services from the Council as well as from the Town of Buchanan and the Town of Troutville. If interested in making a tax deductible donation, please send to the Botetourt Resource Center, P.O. Box 153, Buchanan, VA 24066.